It’s only been 4 months since I got this set of steak knives from Professional Woodworker Supplies. That is a pretty quick turnaround time for me these days! Everything hasn’t gone to plan though, as I will elaborate, but I got close to achieving a good result. I don’t like accepting a compromise – it may be that others wouldn’t notice anything wrong, but I would every time I use one of these. However, I’m getting ahead of myself.
These four knives are begging for some stunning handles (the timber on either side are known as “scales”), and so the timber of choice is African Rosewood. I recently bought a couple of lengths during the recent April WoodFest with the vague idea of making a box, but it jumped out at me when I was looking for what to make the knives from. The timber is around 19mm thick, so a bit over double the thickness required for each side of the knife. So resawing was the order of the day.
Resawing the African Rosewood
I changed the blade down to a 5/8″ blade on the Carbatec bandsaw, then racked up the tension. With the MagSwitch fence in place (single roller), the blade sliced the timber cleanly in two. I am so loving having the bandsaw tensioning handle below the upper wheel. The benefits of a larger bandsaw.
Single Roller MagFence making the job easy
Can’t beat those MagFences either for resawing. Love how easy, and accurate it makes the task.
Passes through the Drum Sander for accurate dimensioning
From the bandsaw, the next step is to run it through the drum sander. This may not be everyone’s first choice – for one you have to have a drum sander to be able to use it. I’ve become a big fan, especially for situations like this. These are pieces of timber way too short to ever consider running through a thicknesser, so you’d have to resort to a ROS, hand plane or similar. Me, I like the electron-murdering whirling abrasive wheel! With careful passes, I was able to get the board down to within 0.1mm of the required thickness.
Jig to accurately cut the handles
Next job was to shape the scales. The only important side initially is the edge that butts up against the bolster. To save on timber (a big mistake – not how I chose to do it, but any attempt to scrimp on timber inevitably leads to undesirable results, and more timber wastage. I know this, and still find myself doing it), I cut the timber close to dimension, and drilled holes using an MDF template I made of the scale from the knife tang. I used a couple of lengths of brass rod to replicate the rivets to position each scale to be cut precisely.
Thinning down the pins
For the two pins, I needed them a little thinner than the rivets would be, so I could get the scales off the jig. To take off a small, controlled amount, mounting the pin in the drill, then running it on the sandpaper provided a precise size decrease.
Ready to cut the handle end
In hindsight, doing it this way was a mistake. Drilling the holes for the rivets needed to be done after the first scale was glued to the tang.
Knife handles roughed out
The scales, ready to be glued on. Rather than gluing both sides at once, the plan was to do one side only, then use a pattern copying bit to get the scale to accurately match the tang.
Gluing the first handle side on
Two part epoxy resin (Araldite) being the glue of choice.
There is plenty of overhang which is a good thing, but this is where two mistakes compounded. The trying to be too thrifty which resulted in the scale slipping in a couple of cases enough that the tang wasn’t properly covered, and when the glue had set, not trimming off the excess resulted in a couple of chipouts on the router table that destroyed the handle. The router bit here is a straight bit with copying bearing. Straight after this, I was down at Carbatec and picked up a solid carbide spiral router bit with double bearing – the spiral has a shearing/slicing action rather than a chipping action for the next time I attempt to make more handles.
Shaping the blank to the handle
Did have a couple of successes, the bearing running on the tang so the scale gets cut accurately to match.
As good as it got
The results were looking good, and the few refinements to my technique should prove very successful. For the handles here, I took the photos, then took a chisel and snapped the scales off. Oh well, I’d rather it right than compromise.
Filed under: Manufactures and Suppliers, Project, Techniques, Timber | Tagged: 1000SE, African Rosewood, Araldite, Bandsaw, Bolster, Carbatec, Dimensioning, Drill, Drum Sander, Electron Murderer, Epoxy, Incra, Knife, MagFence, MagSwitch, Professional Woodworker Supplies, Resaw, Resin, Rivet, Rockwell, ROS, Sarge, Scales, Tang, Template, Thicknesser | 1 Comment »