The saga of my drill press continues.
For years, I have had a full height drill press – Woodman series, that I purchased pretty early on in the scheme of things, making the best decisions that I could at the time. That is to say in hindsight, I have been a bit disappointed in it from the start.
I tried many different ways to deal with the shortcomings – different table tops
(the second was very interesting, but WAY too heavy!)
different chucks, but what began the end-game was when one of the capacitors blew. That was back in May 2014, and somehow I have been dealing without one ever since.
Can’t exactly remember the timing, but either late last year/earlier this year I finally got around to trying to fix the motor, replacing the failed capacitor with another. Seemed to work, and a few 5 second runs seemed to show it was back to being functional. Still, after having it out of action for so long, I’d learned to work without it, so it didn’t get used.
I finally needed to on the weekend – a small hole with a forstner bit. 3/4 of the way down (20mm or so), and the motor on the drill press was smoking more than the workpiece! Soon thereafter, and the motor ground to a halt, and this time it will be permanent (at least as far as I am concerned).
So it was off to the store once-known as Masters (now in liquidation), and picked up a bench-top drill press a couple of friends have also purchased, and have been pleased with.
Got it for 10% off (liquidator’s price), then an additional 5% with my soon-t0-be defunct Masters trade card. Cost about $350.
That will keep me going at least until the Nova Voyager drill press is finally available from Teknatool.