I’m still enjoying (a bit too much) doing nesting operations on the Torque CNC. These latest ones are from MakeCNC‘s anatomically correct range of plans – there are 8 in total (so I still have a few to make).
Initially making them out of 3mm MDF before trying anything more substantial. I did try to make the Dimetrodon out of aluminium, but I didn’t fully adjust for material movement, and when one of the very long pieces of waste between the back spines moved to the wrong side of the router bit, well, let’s just say the router bit got suddenly much shorter. Me making better choices of tab placement, size and number would have made all the difference.
Even so, these look awesome in MDF (especially with the added quality of Kara Rasmanis’ photos). (Click through for a larger version)
These take a bit longer to cut out – a lot more edge distance, and going slower to avoid bit breakage (still managed to do that to one of the bits before getting the speed right). The bit I used is the 1/16″ straight, 2 flute cutter from Toolstoday.com. 45190. This gave a fine degree of detail. I am interested in the 3/32″ bits for a bit more substance when that level of detail is not needed, but still having a bit under 3mm diameter.
For those who are interested, there is an interesting link here describing pterodactyls, what they were (and weren’t), including that like the brontosaurus, they are actually a number of genera that have all been called pterodactyls, rather than it referring to an individual genera.
I need to change the name of my office to Jurrasic Park – it would be more appropriate!