Post Build

Kind of surreal, having the shed actually built.  I won’t say complete, because we all know a shed is never truly finished – there is always something more to do!

I can’t wait to start moving the machines and tools in, but I have to be patient just a little longer.

Firstly, I want to finish the floor, and as much as I would like to rush it, I am resisting so I can focus properly on it and do a good job.  So far I have acid etched the concrete so the epoxy can bond to it properly.  A day later (after the builders had left, and it was dry), it got a really good sweep, as there was a very apparent layer of loose concrete dust on the surface after the etching.  Surprising in one way – the acid seemed to do so little at the time, but not only was it really obvious the next day, a drip test demonstrated that a waterdrop now readily penetrates the surface, where it didn’t before the etch.

It is still as flat and as smooth as it was before, so the quality is unchanged, just the surface is now ready to bond to.

Next, it has been given a degreasing wash, using the caustic powder mixed with water that was supplied with the Shield-crete.  This was scrubbed vigorously across the floor (which made it evident it was still a bit dusty), then hosed and scrubbed off.  I then used a broom to sweep surface water off, and by the end of that, the water being brushed out of the shed was looking decidedly cleaner.  The surface is now clean enough to eat off!

Finally, I took the yard blower I have (Stihl) which can produce over 200km/hr wind, and used it to systematically blow the remaining surface water out.  Specific concentration was given to the expansion joints that had been cut, to ensure water was not pooling there, as I had noticed previously that a band about an inch on either side of the cut remained damp after even a warm day.

That was left to dry for the day.  I had a quick look tonight, and it has dried as I wanted, so the slab is now ready for the 2 pack epoxy to be applied, just as soon as there is enough light, and I have enough time, and energy to do it!  One way or another, it takes 3 full days to cure (you can walk on it after 24 hours), so there will not be any tools moved in this weekend.  I know – frustrating, but the ends definitely justifies the (painful) means.

It isn’t like I will be idle this weekend though.  After 24 hours, the glaze can be applied to the floor, so that is one thing that will keep it moving forward, and I need to get the downpipes connected to the stormwater so I can get the final building inspection signed off.  I’d like to get this done by Wednesday (the signoff that is), so I can get on with things.

Then, it will be a matter of getting the red-tongue I need for the mezzanine floor, as that will be used to make the path to bring the heavy machines from the garage to the shed.  That is a day worth waiting for!



One Response

  1. Well done, Stu. Your perseverance is paying off. Your attention to detail on things like the floor will also pay dividends for a long time to come. It’s been a treat watching you make your shed happen, and looking forward to it being fully up and running.

    With regards to the flooring for the mezzanine, if you haven’t got a Gorilla Gripper, I highly recommend getting one for handling sheet material like that. I nearly broke my back getting some yellow tongue out of my trailer and up my steep driveway to the backyard for my shed, (didn’t help that it started to rain as soon as I got home with it.) The next day I bought one from Bunnings. It was $80 but worth its weight in gold. It’s a brilliant device. I haven’t managed to find the time to put my flooring in yet, but with the Gorilla Gripper it will be a snap moving the sheets around when I finally get to it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: