With both a new chuck, and a new German spindle gouge (Hamlet brand) from Carbatec, I felt inspired to try another turning. Looking around the shed, I spied a round of Huon Pine that I bought a couple of years ago, with the intention of turning a bowl when I felt confident enough not to completely waste the timber.
Just as an aside, I like the German gouge, but the SuperNova2 is faulty – too much runout for what is meant to be a high quality tool. Guess Teknatool shouldn’t have outsourced manufacturing to China. (Teknatool is a New Zealand company, and the products used to be made on those green shores). So the new chuck will be getting exchanged – hope the next one is better. If you are curious, I tried a number of different jaw sets on this chuck, then on a G3 (using the same insert), and the difference in runout was quite noticeable. The extra amount of problem I had in turning this bowl, with the blank trying to jump all over the place. But I still got there 😉
I started in my normal way – attaching the mounting ring to the top face, then gripping it in the chuck jaws. The blank was actually too big for my lathe, so needed to cut away about 10-15mm of the diameter on the bandsaw just to get it to fit. With the blank mounted, I only had a mm or so clearance to to tool rest when I first started turning. I really need that bigger lathe!
The base started getting shaped, working the tool rest around the bowl to continue to have the chisel at the right angle to the bowl (there is no curved rest for this sized lathe).
The base is fully shaped, sanded and finished, with a dovetailed cavity cut to fit the jaws when the bowl is reversed. Not sure what happened next – guess I got carried away with what I was doing – forgot to take another photo until the bowl was completed! In the background here, you can see the Microclene air filtration unit keeping me safe from the dust.
There wasn’t a huge pile of shavings after this job – enough to see some work had been done!
The bowl is finished using the Ubeaut rotary sander, working from 80 grit through to 320, then with a combination of EEE and Shellawax cream to get a polished finish.
So my first real, traditionally shaped bowl. The wall thickness may be a bit more than I’d like, but that comes down to experience and practice.
Although Huon Pine is reasonably plain, it still has plenty of subtle details, and this piece also had a knot to one side. During the turning, I found the knot had started floating, so before it had a chance to dislodge completely, I stabilised it with Cyanoacrylate (SuperGlue) and accelerator.
Turning on a lathe is a very satisfying process, and you can typically come away with a fully finished product by the end of a session.