It was hard having to wait to assemble the workcentre – having it sit overnight waiting. At least it arrived on a Friday!
First job was unpacking the remains of the container, and seeing what, if anything was missing. By the end of the build, only 2 things appear to have been lost – a single bolt of 4 that holds one of the wheels on, and the assembly instructions!
So a pretty fortunate outcome in the end.
I was concerned about that gap in the middle, but I now think this is for the shorter versions of the support arm – this unit shipped with the longest 1300mm version, which gets packaged with the 2 main beams rather than in this crate.
After laying it all out, the assembly task did not look that daunting, and in hindsight it wasn’t – nothing like even assembling a Triton Workcentre – this assembly didn’t need instructions, let alone the difficulty caused by missing a single step of the Triton assembly.
Assembly begins upside down, and the tapped holes make it obvious how it goes together. The two main rails are set out, with the cross bracing bolted across.
The legs are then added to either end, with the adjustable legs (which also are the ones with brakes) to the front. Once this section is finished, the unit it flipped upright for the rest of the assembly.
I didn’t get any photos of the next stage – it went so quickly and smoothly it was over before I picked the camera up again. Throughout the build, I did have the video running, so at least that (hopefully) caught some of the action!
Throughout the build, with every component I picked up I was reminded of the significance of each component – they were heavy, strong, and it was both obvious that it had been built by hand (and not in a bad way), and wasn’t some mass-overseas-produced tool. This is solid, Australian engineering as it should be.
The total build took all of 90 minutes – a very smooth assembly, even without the instructions.
This is the platform for the various tools – in this case for the router. It includes the optional dust collections shroud. There is still some fine-tuning to do, and a top to be added which I will cover in the next article(s).
From the base, to the upright, the support arm and the tool carrier, it is solid components, solid construction all the way.
It is one thing to see such a unit set up and operating at a woodshow, but you get a real sense for the quality during the build phase.