With Christmas approaching just way too rapidly, it is well overdue for me to make a start on the two toy kitchens I promised to build for friends of my daughter. We’ve had a few discussions on what they wanted, and it came down to three individual modules – a fridge, a sink and a stove/oven. They also intend to fully paint the units (the kids are going to be 3), so the material of choice became MDF.
I priced some different sizes, and 2400×1200 sheets were 1/2 the price of the next cheapest. Annoying there is such a price difference though. It is easier to quickly break the sheets down into more manageable sizes using a circular saw, than to try to man-handle them through the tablesaw – bringing the saw to the material, rather than the other way around. In the near future, the Torque Workcentre will definitely be the method of choice going forward. Not that it is much different as a concept – a rail of some form controlling the circular saw through the cut. In the case of the Torque Workcentre, it means a saw with a 1200mm crosscut capability. In this case, I still have the loan of a Festool rail, which I have fixed to the board with a couple of Lidwig clamps.
Once I cut out the first side, and shaped it, it became the template for the rest of the sides. After using a combination of the tablesaw and the bandsaw to produce the initial shape, I then held it in place using some of the MagSwitch featherboards so I could hit it with the drill-mounted Blowfly to smooth the curves out.
To then cut the rest of the sides, I used the first side as a template, and affixed it down temporarily using carpet tape. I then ran around the outside of the pattern with a jigsaw, before moving onto the router table with a pattern copying bit to finish the job. (A pattern copying bit is a straight cutter with a bearing)
Given the amount of MDF I was expecting to generate, I had the air filters running at full speed, and the 4″ dust collector hose placed at the optimum position to maximise the collection. (That is a Lidwig Claw holding the hose in position).
Using the Festool Domino and a bunch of 4mm x 20mm dominos, I then mocked together the first module to see how the design is progressing. It doesn’t look much at the moment – adding tops and features (taps etc), as well as a door on the front will really improve the look. I also want to break all the edges – MDF is rather sharp when cut, and rounding over the edges is the best option.
So obviously lots more to do, but at least it is a start.