Great vid, it’s good to see how the jig works. For some reason I expected it to be more complicated, but that’s impressive.
Is there any way you could design a box carcass to hide those holes? I would have thought the screw would pierce the outside if you had drilled from the interior, so is it just something to be dealt with, or is there a trick to get around having the holes exposed?
The jig is as easy as anything. It takes a few seconds to create the hole, and a few more to screw it together. You cold glue it as well, but I rarely bother, as the joint remains strong over time. I have a few Ikea cupboards etc that weaken over time, and once they become disfunctional, I rebuild them with pocketholes and they become better than new.
The box carcass could be easily designed to hide the holes – I could have done them from the inside for example, and so long as you set the jig up (as shown) for the thickness of the material, then there is no danger of any undesirable breakout points!
The only reason I designed (which is a bit generous calling this unit designed at all!!) the unit in this way, is I wanted to show the application of the white plastic plugs. If this was going into the house, you wouldn’t have seen a thing.
Have a look back at an old post on here – the kitchen cupboard. It is also joined with pocketholes, and the entire project was designed specifically to hide all the pockethole joints.
FWIW, that cabinet is now a number of years old, and is still as strong as it was when built- pockethole joinery definitely works when it is used appropriately.
A bit more on hiding pocketholes – the drawer unit in the picture above is a good example of hiding pocketholes. They have all been placed such that they are never seen when the drawer is in operation. And given the number I have used, particularly on the drawer base, that puppy is never going to break! You could stand in that drawer, and the only thing at risk would be the drawer runners (and of course overbalancing the entire unit)
I have had the K4 pocket hole jig for a few months now, and while watching the video that you get with your purchase, I decided to paint all the demensions on the jig with white oil glossy paint. It makes reading the text on the jig at lot easier
Back in the days of Dungeons and Dragons, with all the different sided dice, we would take a wax crayon of a contrasting colour and rub it over the surface, filling the numbers, then rubbed the surfaces clean with a soft cloth. It worked very successfully for that application, and I daresay it would here as well.