Much of the evenings this week have involved short trips out to the shed for the next small step, primarily glue ups. Sure have gone through a bit of glue this project!
I cut the opening in the top of one unit for the sink using the Worx Sonicrafter. To stop the sink falling through (and add strength), I created a rebated mitred lip around the sink. I don’t have four corner clamps the same, so ended up using both the corner adapter on the Quick Grips for to corners, and the Woodpeckers Mitre Clamp Set for the other two. Interesting comparison – the Quick Grips were more convenient, the Woodpeckers did a better job. The design of it really allowed the corner to load up and get pulled together. I also made good use of the Woodpeckers Mitre square.
I can really see how having the Woodpeckers Mitre Clamp set mounted to a jig would give a very good result.
Tried the sink out (and no surprise), it fitted like a glove. No surprise because I’d already tried a couple of times already :)
I wasn’t happy how the mitres went – not close enough for what I wanted. I’ve not had good results from mitre joints so far, and this one was no exception. Nothing wrong with the clamps, everything to do with my technique.
So I decided to try another idea. I ran the sink back over the saw, with the blade carefully set to the height just to cut through the top, and created a kerf at each corner. Into that, I inserted and glued a piece of Solomons Queen Ebony. Once it is dry, I will sand it flush.
Finally, before I ran out of time, I added some support to the front and rear edges of the trays – didn’t want to risk a split/breakage when loaded up and in operation.
Still seems so much to do, progress is dragging. And Christmas is only a few days away!
Filed under: Techniques, Timber, Wooden Toys | Tagged: corner clamps, dry fit, Kerf, mitres, Toy Kitchen, Woodpeckers | 3 Comments »