I happened upon a post the other day, that showed what the shed looked like 2 years ago. Quite impressive, given it was just some formwork at that stage, waiting for the slab to be poured.
While that was interesting in its own right (and bringing back memories of finally having some space to move into after having the shed contents packed in a garage for a year), it reminded me that I hadn’t in fact managed to fully move out of the garage into the shed.
So that was Saturday’s job – with a big cleanup of the garage, and move anything around to the shed that should have been in there.
In the meantime, the CNC was churning away, cutting some Xmas decorations out ready for another market next Sunday.
The job today was to try to maintain the momentum, and get the shed in some sort of order. What I find after every project (particularly when it is for a magazine article), is that the shed quickly gets very messy as good practices follow shrinking deadlines out the door. And the shed hadn’t had a decent cleanup for almost 3 projects, on top of the sudden influx from the garage.
All I can say at this point, is I am so relieved that I went with the mezzanine floor, and with the powered hoist! It is all in and up, and the shed floor has a passing resemblance to something clean.
Still more to go, even after all that. The TWC has been a junk magnet for about a year, and that is still the case at the moment. Plus there are some machines & tools in the shop that have a variety of needs.
Some need to be tuned up – getting them accurate.
Some need to be sold – they are surplus to requirements.
Some are not performing to the level that I now need, and these need to be sold and replaced.
I am still of two minds in some instances.
For example, the 6″ Jet longbed planer. As a machine, it is perfectly fine, and a quality Jet machine. But I am finding that 6″ is too limiting, and I have to modify my stock to match the capacity of the machine.
The 15″ Carbatec thicknesser. It has had no problem milling the stock that I have thrown its way. I’m sure the blades need some TLC, but the question is whether to stay with separate machines (and upgrade the thicknesser with a spiral head), or to go with a combo machine. What I am thinking about at the moment is whether something like the Minimax C30 would be an interesting way to go.
It has 12″ capacity on the jointer, and also the thicknesser (being a combo), is a saw (although that isn’t relevant in my case), has a spindle moulder (very interested), and a horizontal mortiser.
Downgrading from a 15″ thicknesser to 12″ is one question – although it would be fair to say that I haven’t used that sort of width for a very long time. Going from stand-alone machines to a combo is another, although given shed space is worth its weight in gold, that may be a huge offset benefit.
Lots to do and work on. Spindle sander, drum sander, disc sander and drill press are all up for consideration.
While all this was going on, the CNC was plodding along in the background, and worked well all day – working continuously for 8 1/2 hours (and that is actual machining time, not counting the pauses in between!) It did well :)