The kickstarter for this project came just over a month ago, and it has consumed a great deal of time and effort, but it is all worthwhile. And she is the reason why.
My little one
Soon to turn 6, it was well overdue for her to have something significant out of the shed she loves visiting.
With a combination of conflicting priorities, it was always going to be interesting to see how it came out. Short deadlines, a house purchase and a particularly busy work schedule all competed to derail the project, while making a great kitchen for my daughter, making the kitchen entirely from timber and having the experience of making two different toy kitchens before worked towards a decent result. Especially wanting Jessie to have a kitchen that I’d made her. I’ve never finished a project so late (and during the build I knew it wouldn’t be fully complete, as far as being fully finished, so already had some compromises), nor have I had so many nicks and cuts from rushing around a shed that was quickly running out of space, and being pushed for time meant I wasn’t working to keep things as orderly as needed for a limited space, while splinters were common from the hardwood.
The unwrapping begins
The two large wrapped parcels hardly gained a second look during the morning, but there were tonnes of distractions in the form of wrapped parcels! Finally, it was time for the reveal – two large, fully wrapped presents. It didn’t take long to reveal what was within, and it was pretty exciting! You cannot tell from the photos, but I can see the different expressions there, and can still hear the excited squeals.
The great unwrap!
It did look very cool breaking through the wrapping paper.
Amidst torn paper
Kitchen full of……wrapped stuff
Once the main sheets of wrapping paper were removed, there was another surprise. The units were packed full of more presents (and this after a morning of unwrapping). It was all the real tools of the trade- saucepans, cutlery, mashers, bowls, jugs etc. We had been shopping at Kmart a week earlier – they have a whole range of kitchenware, most with a $2 price tag. At the checkout, they fully expected us to be first-home buyers given the range of items in the cart. They are perfect – cheaper and better than any sold in toy sections, and that they are ‘real’ not ‘toy’ added to the experience during the reveal.
Proud new owner
I’m very pleased how the units came out, and the small details of jarrah and redgum stood out against the quality of the Tassie Oak.
Learning the ‘controls’
I couldn’t help myself from pointing out some of the details I had included (mainly what each of the controls said, that I had burnt into the knobs with the pyrography set). Then it was a matter of sitting back and enjoying the soups, cupcakes etc that were being produced for the family. With playdoh food, the imagination play is endless.
Checking out the oven
Cooking up a storm
All fitted out
Some of the details then: the sink is laminated Tassie Oak and Redgum, as are the drawer fronts (with a jarrah handle). It is all glued, and in some cases also using Dominos. I avoided any metal fasteners until near the end, when it became obvious that it would be a significant compromise to continue with that ideal. That was when I first made some hinges for the oven, using wooden dowels, and that caused breakages. Once I had decided on brass hinge rods, then a few other places benefited from a minimal amount of metal. The drawers are dovetailed, the shelf a lattice, and the lower shelf using offcuts. In fact this project had less wastage from offcuts than I can remember seeing in a long time. There are hardly any at all, with wastage being small pieces assigned to the firewood bin, or are sawdust in the collection bag (and that is full). I went through two full bottles of glue – about a full litre of yellow PVA on this project. Again, the result of joining so many boards together to create the panels required. The Frontline clamps got a significant workout. The side panels each have a routed picture – one of the little surprises.
I love the strap hinges – they came up awesome! The Incra Hingecrafter was a significant asset. The Hingecrafter is not just the drilling jig, but also the box set of router bits that match. Being able to make your own hinges is a great feeling – you really come away ‘owning’ the project being able to make, rather than buy the accessories. About the only thing I purchased for this was the castor wheels.
Stove / Oven controls
The toy wheels, repurposed as control knobs were supplemented with the pyrography kit burning in names, and values.
Oven hinge detail
The hinges for the oven – very functional, strong, and compared to commercial hinges I have used before in the same situation, less likely to rip out of the timber as the load is distributed over a larger area.
A bandsawn faucet (rounded over on the router table), and a couple of oversized wheels for taps made with a wheel cutter on the drill press.
The tambour door looks the part, and I added a spinning nozzle to the base to complete the dishwasher.
To finish this project off, I need to replace the hinges on the cupboard door (a short job with the hingecrafter), sand, roundover edges, and apply an oil finish. Even so, a very satisfactory conclusion to the project (or at least a major delivery point).
Next, the kitchen needs a microwave, sandwich press, toaster (to start). A storage cupboard may be in order, and a fridge. The possibilities are endless.
Merry Christmas Jessica!
Filed under: Project, Wooden Toys | Tagged: Christmas, Dominoes, Frontline, Gift wrapping, Hinge, Kitchen, Kmart, Tassie Oak, toy kitchens | 3 Comments »