Been popping out to the shed to continue to take small bites out of the toy kitchen project. This one is taking a lot more bites than normal – partly the detail I am including, partly the timber source I am using (and having to glue up constantly to get the panels I need).
A kitchen needs drawers, especially one for cutlery. I decided to make two – keep things even on the sink unit. Dovetail drawers were the order of the day, and once again I turned to the Gifkins – takes no time to dovetail up the sides. Took me longer to machine and glue up the base! I’ve only recently started using the Bessey clamps with the jig, and they sure do work a treat.
The tambour door wasn’t working very smoothly while I was testing the track, but freed up a great deal when I actually secured it in. The track was sanded, then waxed with Ubeaut traditional wax. Now it runs as smooth as you’d expect – perhaps even more so! I needed a handle, so took a piece of the reclaimed redgum, routed a finger hold, then dominoed it to the tambour door with 4mm dominos.
I am making this kitchen without any plans, so find it really beneficial to occasionally put the components I have made so far together, to get a vision of the final product, and see what needs to be done next. I also find it worthwhile, because it gives me ideas for other items to add. The dovetailed drawers are one example, and a plan to make some spinning arms for the dishwasher is another.
I was still working on the concept of the kitchen being 100% wood and glue, and so tried to make some wooden hinges that used a wooden dowel. The result was less than ideal, so rather than force the issue, I will incorporate a minimal amount of metal.
I am still planning on using wooden hinges, just now with a brass pin. The photo above was during the trial, and is the largest hinge that I can make with the hingecrafter. It didn’t work out for a number of reasons, but was a good test, and the lessons learned will be incorporated into the remake. I am planning on making a wooden strap hinge for the oven door – if you have a hinge (especially a wooden one), sometimes it is nice to make a feature of it. It also means I can make it large without it looking out of place. I will get back to making the hinges next “small bite!”
Glued up the drawer fronts – a centre of redgum, because I could. I have moved onto a new glue bottle (Gorilla yellow PVA), and wasn’t used to how far the glue spreads, and how much the nozzle dispensed, and got a bit much here! At least the joint won’t be dry. Easy enough to remove when the glue turns rubbery.
I added runners to the sink unit for the drawers. With a small recess in the side of each drawer, and a notched runner, the drawers need no other guide to work successfully. The fronts still need to be added obviously.
The Frontline clamps have again proved invaluable – hardly a minute that they haven’t had one panel or other being glued up. So much so, that I really want to consider a more permanent home for the setup in the new workshop. I am even considering whether to add an additional three clamps to my setup – either more 900mm ones to match my existing, or even three 1200mm clamps.
The tops of the two units are now glued, sanded and are ready for final sizing, and for the sink to be inserted into one, and stove elements routed into the other. Still so much to do! Just so little time.